Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A wondering I go... part 1

I planned a trip to visit some family in Salt Lake City, and I decided that it would be a fun experience to drive instead of flying. So Tuesday the 15th I left the house at 4 am heading to SugarCity ID via Hwy5 to Portland and E on 84. I wanted to stop by Multnomah Falls and hike to the top and get some great pics for road book. But mother nature had other plans. I got there and fog and rain thwarted my plans. So I continued on heading for Hagerman Fossil in ID, no problem, right?! First the hwy was closed at LeGrande for a car accident, so I took a side hwy to get around it, a little out of the way but the view was nice. Time to get back on the main hwy except it was closed for rd const... OK so another side hwy. Finally time to get back on 84... NOPE! more road const and a line of cars to timbucktoo. So I decided to get as far away from Hwy 84 as possible, a nice scenic hwy thats what I needed. 2 1/2 hours later emerging from the depths of hell.. no kidding Hells Canyon, beautiful place, I finally entered ID (a little to far north but it was idaho..yah). Then I got into an accident the car is ok; I can't even see any damage.. however the swallowtail butterfly did not survive (his remains will be added to my collection upon my return). Another hour later and I finally reached my main hwy and continued E, then with the time change I lost an hour and was not even close. At 9 pm I reached Boise and there is a good 3+ hours to go. A little bit after 1 am I passed Rexburg and my trip mileage rolled to 1000 miles driven since I left. I arrived at my destination at 1:30 am, a lot later than planned and my body exhausted with my eyes pasted wide open I tried to go sleep (I finally did but it seemed like forever). I feel better today and decided to stay with the Barnhills for a couple days and do the Yellowstone/Teton loop tomorrow. And I need to reschedule a visit to Hagerman Fossils and Multnomah Falls. My trip has been an experience, but I am unsure if it could be catergorized as FUN!

3 comments:

The Patton's said...

Nadia really wants to see the butterfly and......know when ur coming home!

Melissa said...

I can't believe I missed you in Idaho again!! Sounds like a rough drive. Kind of glad I decided to fly now, otherwise I might have been in that going the opposite direction. have fun at Yellowstone and the Tetons. Take some pretty pictures of the barns on Mormon Row for me - that place is gorgeous. And will you tell Leola I'm in Pouslbo? I was supposed to visit her the week before I left and it didn't happen. Now I won't be back until the middle of July.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

The Patton's said...

is that your pet Chipmonk?